Monday, January 21, 2013

A Final Reflection on My Second Pregnancy...

As I wait semi-impatiently on the arrival of my second born, I have had some extra time to reflect on the past 9 months. Everything is cleaned and organized ready for the sweet little lump that will soon be here to occupy the spaces we've made for her, in our home and in our hearts. So all that's left to do is just relax and wait.
As I compare my first pregnancy with my second one, I have felt a little guilty at times because life with my first born, who is also a toddler, is pretty much all consuming. And that doesn't allow for much time or energy to prepare or anticipate the arrival of a new baby like the first time around. During your first pregnancy you are fully consumed with the thoughts of pregnancy, birth and parenting. You are aware of every flutter, every kick and every stretch mark. The nursery and everything that goes into it is of utmost importance, and anything less than perfection is unacceptable. Which is why Kidd-O's room was painted 3 times--and I would have painted it again if Mr. Clean would have allowed it! I sent back 2 baby bedding sets before I settled on the one that would be perfect for my little boy. And once the nursery is set, then you research what kind of labor and delivery you plan to have and bury your nose into books about sleep training and breastfeeding once the little one arrives. Like I said, ALL CONSUMING.
Enter pregnancy #2. I bought some $20 baby bedding, and asked our friend who was painting the nursery to just pick out a neutral color because I really didn't care. I did have 2 very sweet showers and am so grateful for all of the blessings, but if they didn't happen, I would have been ok too! I haven't looked up the first bit of info on anything, but I have noticed the new stretch marks. I guess some things just can't slip by.
While I have felt a little bad about not being totally preoccupied with this baby like I was with the first, I am thankful because I think that means I'm a little more sure of myself this go 'round. I have matured and realized that I have diapers and a carseat, and that's really all I need. There is something very liberating about feeling like "I've got this." I'm positive that there will be new adventures with a new baby that has her very own, unique personality, but I'm ready for them!
While these last several days have added increased levels of discomfort, like with my first, I can truly say that I have thoroughly enjoyed being pregnant and I KNOW that I will miss it soon enough. While I feel like my stomach couldn't possibly stretch out any more, and I'm becoming quite impatient about seeing this baby, I am really trying to enjoy these last few moments of pregnancy. It has been a great road, full of gallons of orange juice, millions of sausage balls and ice water. I don't know if the Lord will bless me with more children or not, but I am thankful for the gift of pregnancy and all the amazing things that come along with it.
I can't thank my friends and family enough for all of the love, support, encouragement and the EXTREMELY generous outpouring of gifts that have been showered on this baby! I am humbled and thankful. Plain and simple. Thank you, dear reader, for stopping by and reading! And I am praying fervently that this is my LAST post until this child finally decides to come! You can pray for that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...