Saturday, April 9, 2011

Life Lessons From a Tree...

I am passionate about reading and I have a serious love for children books. I think they are beautiful, sweet, innocent, and can evoke emotions better than any country song at times. You HAVE to know what I'm talking about! C'mon "I Love You Forever"? Where the momma sings to her baby until he is no longer a baby, and then the grown son rocks his dying mother and sings that same lullaby to her?? That book can bring a grown man to tears!One of my favorite books in this world is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. This sweet children's book has a myriad of themes and filled with lessons to learn. It's a story about selflessness, selfishness, generosity, greed, discontentment, but above all, unconditional love. Some people are givers, some are takers, but I think we all can tend to be both at times.I have typically focused on the Boy.The story has actually made me mad at times. The boy always seems greedy, ungrateful, wanting everything and giving nothing in return. As the Boy grows older, his demands grow to be greater. And the Tree has frustrated me as well, because I feel that she enables the boy, giving in to his every whim, receiving nothing in return. The boy's constant discontentment is exhausting and aggravating! And even though the boy can stand to be taken down a peck or two, and deserves a spank on that ungrateful hiney, he does love the tree. He enjoys the Tree, uses the Tree, depends on the Tree. And that make the Tree happy.But I have started to see this story in a different light now. I still think the boy needs to experience the Grace of God so he can truly be content/happy(I could go on forever about my thoughts on the theological themes in this book, but don't worry, I won't), but I have found a new respect for the Tree. The relationship the Tree has with the Boy is very symbolic of the Parent/Child relationship. If you read the book (which, if you haven't, you MUST) you will see that the Tree is TRULY happy to give to the Boy. In fact, the only time the Tree is sad is when she thinks she has nothing left to give the Boy and fears he won't return. It is her joy to give to him and she will give to him until she is nothing but a stump. And if you are a parent, you know what this kind of love is like. You are there for your kid, come hell or high water. And thank goodness parents don't wait for reciprocity before they give to their child, because they will be waiting a loooong time! Parents give without expecting anything in return and it's their joy to do it. I know there are times that I hurt my parents, disappointed my parents, used my parents, asked for things and never gave in return, but I also know that they love seeing me and the rest of their kids enjoying life and they would give anything to make sure that happens...well, almost anything, they aren't quite as crazy as the tree! They also see that NOT giving in to EVERY desire teaches more important lessons that last much longer than "stuff". Man, I could go on forever! I'll stop now... Deep thoughts, I know! Read the book and tell me what you think, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...